The town of Augusta, situated on the hills overlooking the Missouri River Valley about 37 miles west of Saint Louis, was founded in 1836 by Leonard Harold, one of the settlers that followed Daniel Boone to Saint Charles County. Harold laid out the town of Mount Pleasant on part of the government land he purchased in 1821. The town site was chosen for its excellent river landing. By incorporation in 1855 the town, then known as Augusta had become a prosperous agricultural community, producing mainly grain, livestock, and wine grapes. The town, a trading center, supported numerous craftsmen, merchants, hotels, and wineries.